AcoRN Seminar 1: Alcohol Marketing
The UK-Ireland Alcohol Research Network (AcoRN) would like to invite you to a webinar on Wednesday the 17th of November from 13:00 to 14:30. The webinar will be exploring one of our key research areas: Alcohol Marketing.
In this webinar – hosted on Zoom – we will be joined by Dr. Pat Kenny, Dr. Nathan Critchlow, Vania Filipova, Dr. Richard Purves, and Eunan McKinney to update on the latest evidence on alcohol marketing in Ireland and discuss implications for the Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 and future research needs in Ireland.
This is an important and timely webinar given that Ireland will have implemented the latest Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 controls on some advertising at sport and some event sponsorship the previous week.
Agenda and presentation titles:
- 13:00 – Dr. Pat Kenny (Technological University Dublin) – Opening remarks and update on the Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018.
- 13:10 – Dr. Nathan Critchlow (University of Stirling) – Examining changes in alcohol marketing awareness one year after initial implementation and during the COVID-19 pandemic: Findings from online repeat cross-sectional surveys.
- 13:25 – Vania Filipova (Technological University Dublin) – The impact of health warnings in alcohol ads: Comparing single vs. multiple vs. graphic health warnings.
- 13:40 – Dr. Richard Purves (University of Stirling) – Examining alcohol marketing during the 2020 Six Nations and implications for the Public Health (Alcohol) Act.
- 13:55 – Short Break (5 minutes).
- 14:00 – Panel Discussion with Dr. Pat Kenny, Dr. Nathan Critchlow, Vania Filipova, Dr. Richard Purves, and Eunan McKinney (Alcohol Action Ireland).
- 14:25 – Closing remarks
This event is for researchers, public health professionals, policymakers, government officials, civil society groups etc. We reserve the right to exclude access to those who have a conflict of interest. A conflict of interest arises if you have received funding/remuneration from an entity substantially funded by, or substantially related to, the alcohol industry in the past 5 years.
If you wish to register for this event, please do so through the Eventbrite page: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/acorn-webinar-alcohol-marketing-research-and-policy-in-ireland-tickets-193346062277
Study Visit Scholarships
We have secured funding to enable four researchers to spend a week working with an established alcohol research team to enable them to develop paper or research ideas, funding applications or to gain specific skills or insight. The visit must be aligned to one of AcoRN’S four policy themes; Availability, Price, Marketing or Politics.
The AcoRN Steering Group will assess applications and award the funding as they see fit to best further the objectives of the network. AcoRN is particularly keen to support several applicants from ROI where there are internationally innovative policy developments and fewer established research groups. Selection will be based on a competitive process whereby researchers and their proposed hosts make the case for how the visit will progress the aims of the network, the researcher’s development and commit to reporting on their visit in writing. Please visit https://alcoholresearch-uk-irl.net/study-visit-scholarships/ for more information and application guidance.