AcoRN Seminar 2: Alcohol and Policymaking
The UK-Ireland Alcohol Research Network (AcoRN) would like to invite you to its second webinar, which will be held via Zoom on Thursday 10th February from 1pm to 2:30pm. The webinar will be exploring another key research area of the network: Alcohol and policymaking.
This webinar will be facilitated by Dr Frank Houghton, who will be joined by Dr Matthew Lesch, Professor Shona Hilton, Dr Nason Maani, Dr Sheila Gilheany and Elinor Jayne (full details below). The webinar will focus on the alcohol policymaking process from a number of perspectives, examining industry, media and public health influences on this contentious process.
This is an important and timely webinar particularly given the recent implementation of minimum unit pricing in Ireland via the Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018.
- 13:00 – Dr Frank Houghton (Technological University of the Shannon) – Opening remarks and introduction of speakers
- 13:05 – Dr Matthew Lesch (University of York) – Examining public health and industry influences on the alcohol policymaking process
- 13:25 – Professor Shona Hilton (University of Glasgow) – Exploring the role of media in framing and influencing alcohol policy
- 13:45 – Dr Nason Maani (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine) – Examining the role of industry in shaping public understanding and the function of corporate social responsibility
- 14:05 – Panel discussion with main speakers and Dr Sheila Gilheany (Alcohol Action Ireland) and Elinor Jayne (SHAAP)
- 14:25 – Closing remarks
This event is open to a range of stakeholders, including researchers, public health professionals, policymakers, government officials and civil society groups. We reserve the right to exclude access to those who have a conflict of interest – that is, anyone who has received funding/remuneration from an entity substantially funded by, or substantially related to, the alcohol industry in the past five years.
If you wish to register for this event, please do so through the Eventbrite page: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/acorn-webinar-the-politics-of-alcohol-tickets-255114162327